Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fear of heights

So I'm really, really terrified of heights. No, I mean really. Give me something to do on land or in water...and I'll take to it at once. But jumping off a cliff, or a bridge...or out of a plane - that's a different story (watch my sequence of photos on a 15-ft cliff in Ecuador to get the picture...no pun intended).

Given the above, I'm a little proud of being able to jump out of a plane at 15,000 feet today. Just a little :) I was the last of 6 people to fly up and jump off today...we went two at a time and the other person in my plane jumped off at 12,000 feet. When you're sitting with your heart in your mouth and shaking with cold at that height in a little plane, watching somebody disappear doesn't exactly help the situation. Feeling the plane take off at steep incline towards 15,000 feet doesn't either. And then suddenly, you're there. The little sliding door is pulled up, you're being asked to take the "banana shape" and wham! you drop down. My first sensation was that of teeth hurting (it IS really cold up there), then there was "oh my God, oh my God, I just jumped off a plane...what sort of an idiot does that", and then...what the hell, I've jumped. I might as well enjoy the view...and I definitely did that.

Now, I just have to summon the guts up to jump off a bridge. I personally think it requires more courage to jump those 40m (or so) since there's no one clipped to your back making sure you're going with him. Sigh.

No comments: