Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The power of a quarter

The currency of choice and in use in Ecuador is the US dollar. Even after living in the US for the last few years and feeling the power of a dollar in travel, I am a little surprised by its magnified power here. For instance, it took exactly 25 cents for me to get to the center of New Town in Quito from the airport. Comparing this with the 85 dollars it took for me to get to JFK (since I was running late as always and had no time to take the train), I am left a little speechless.

To be fair, I did take the bus from Quito airport given that I have all the time in the world here, but even if I hadn´t, a taxi would have cost me...wait for it...a full 4 dollars. We aren´t talking about getting from the South ferry to the beaten-up Bull distance here.

That being said, prices all over fluctuate wildly. An icecream (I obviously had to have one of those) cost me a dollar-fifty, lunch was a very full plate for three dollars...and a fresh empanada can be had for 15 cents. I´m learning the power of a dime too...and obviously eating my way through Quito.

No comments: