Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Last day in Ecuador

This entry primarily serves as a last-day-in-Ecuador marker and comes from Guayaquil, possibly my favorite city in Ecuador. I think that can be attributed to the tremendously long waterfront esplanade-type thing that I've spent most of my time on, devouring icecream...I'm finally some place hot!

In the last 10 days, I've bus-sed it from the farm (Hacienda Picalqui - http://www.fbu.com.ec/picalqui.htm) down to -

- Tena, one of Ecuador's river rafting and kayaking capitals
- BaƱos (yes, there really is a city named after bathrooms...delightful touristy destination)
- Guaranda, a little town that takes credit for its access to Salinas, another little town known for its town-made cheese and chocolate (I thought that was reason enough to visit)

From Tena, I made a foray into the Ecuadorian jungle to go rafting, waterfall climbing, stay with a family in the jungle...and get bitten every-darned-where possible. I still resemble a huge mosquito/sand flea bite despite repellent. Aagh. That being said, rafting Class III waves was fun, jumping off a 10-foot high rock into a lagoon was thrilling (I am very definitely scared of heights, I've realized) and body-surfing a waterfall was just plain awesome.

Tonight is the move to Peru, and in another day the river ride down the Amazon to Brazil begins. I ate up my week in Peru right here in Ecuador...so another time, another trip. So much to see, so little time to do it all!

No comments: